Recreating a corrupt Windows 7 profile isn’t as simple as some may think. There are a few simple steps you need to take to do so.
- Restart your PC to release the locks on your profiles.
- Log on with another administrative account.
- Rename or Delete the user’s profile folder (C:\Users\%username%\)
- Delete any Temp Profiles that may have been created during your first attempt at recreating the profile. (C:\Users\TEMP\).
- Delete or Rename the registry key matching your SID from
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList”. Check the value “ProfileImagePath” to make sure you pick your own profile. I like to add a ‘.bak’ to the key in the registry.
- Restart and now log in with the account you were trying to recreate.